WC Peoples Bill Now Open for Public Comment
The public participation process for the Western Cape Peoples Bill is now open and you have until 7 August 2023 to have your say.
The Bill will allow the Western Cape people the right to make decisions for themselves by formally claiming the right of self-determination which is already contained in the Western Cape and South African Constitutions, and in several international treaties which South Africa has ratified since 1994.
Self-determination simply means that we have a final say in how we are governed and will allow the Western Cape to demand the devolution of powers such as policing and rail, or to demand federal autonomy, or to demand our independence. All of these options would be premised upon the democratic consent of the majority of Western Cape voters.
This is very significant since in 2019 the DA were elected on the promise of delivering the devolution of policing and rail, something which they have failed to do. This is because the ANC-led national government has refused to delegate those power despite repeatedly being asked by the DA-led Western Cape Government to do so.
Remarkably, the DA seem intent on voting against this bill (which has tabled by the Freedom Front Plus) and at the CIAG we are furious about this. It would be a betrayal of the Western Cape people.
Have your say!
Have your say
You can give YOUR input in the following ways:
- You can sign a letter on the CIAG website using this link
- You can write directly to the Western Cape Parliament using this email link
- You can submit your feedback via the 'DearSA' using this link
- Link to a copy of the Western Cape Peoples Bill
- Link to a copy of an open letter send by the CIAG to all Western Cape DA MPPs
- Link to the CIAG's submission to the Western Cape Parliament in support of the Bill